By adopting a child and helping them reach their potential, they help us reach ours.
An adopted child is not an unwanted child; to the contrary.
They are a child who was searched for, prayed for, cried for, begged for,
received by arms that ached, making empty hearts full.
Love is meant to be shared.

~ Author Unknown ~

May 5, 2010

Day 3

This was a HUGE day! We found out that our G&R was going to be Thursday. 1 more day until we were going to get Jacob. After nearly 2 years, were were only 100 or so miles, not 1,000s and we were 36 hours from holding him. Throughout the entire wait, I always knew that once the day arrived, I wouldn't care what it took to get to that point.

We walked around the lake. As I said in last year's post HERE, the peddlers were MUCH more aggressive down there. The worst was yet to come, but they still made it harder to enjoy the walk, at times. We saw valet parking for scooters at a lakefront restaurant! We had Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch. Very good, but a little spicer than in the US. It was also our only incident with ice/water.

Without thinking, we ordered sodas and they came in glasses, with ice. We looked at them for a while, but we were hot and tired and they were cold. We agreed that we just wouldn't eat the ice. Easier said than done when you are busy eating and talking. I soon realized that I was crunching on the ice!! I stopped and we hoped for the best. I think I was OK. The traffic was every bit as crazy as I had heard over the years. Check it out HERE.

It was a calm day. We walked around the neighborhood and did some shopping. I know we were a little leary about going out until we heard from Kenny and Martin. I do remember that we ran out as soon as they called.

Our 2 weeks in Vietnam were amazing. Just typing these updates make me think of so many little moments. Like sitting on the couches by the large windows at Highland Coffee with the breeze blowing it and hearing all the horns honking below us. This is that intersection at night.

We had more time to get to know the area and the couples with us. I am fairly sure this was the night that we got lost on the way back to the hotel. The 6 of us went to Highland Coffee. GREAT smoothies there!! We put the Barnetts in a cab and the 4 of us began the walk back to the hotel. Marie and I were leading the way, with the men following behind us. We came to a side street and Marie made the turn. I wasn't 100% sure, but she seemed to be, so I went with it. So did the men.

We were walking and talking. In a little while, Marie mentioned to me that she thought we made the wrong turn. Soon after, Brian said the same. Marie and I were pretty calm about it. We knew we couldn't be too far off. We were sure we could figure it out. The guys, on the other hand, weren't so sure. Yes, it was late and kind of dark. We weren't on the beaten path either. The streets we were on were quiet, with few people on them. We eventually did find another hotel in our chain and Brian went in to ask for help. Marie and I found a travel agency and asked there. Turns out, we were a couple of blocks over. We made the turns and were back to the hotel, in no time. It was a REALLY funny time for us. We were all teasing and laughing with and AT each other.

Oh, the memories!!!

No comments: