By adopting a child and helping them reach their potential, they help us reach ours.
An adopted child is not an unwanted child; to the contrary.
They are a child who was searched for, prayed for, cried for, begged for,
received by arms that ached, making empty hearts full.
Love is meant to be shared.

~ Author Unknown ~

November 24, 2008

Orphans

I worked lunch duty at my kids' school today and I worked with another mother that didn't realize that we were adopting. I made a comment about traveling and she asked where to. I told her Vietnam to get our child and she was floored. She later admitted that my daughter has said something to her before (it was MONTHS ago and she had forgotten). She said how hearing that we were doing this "wonderful thing" made her heart flutter! She was telling me how great we are to be doing this. I posted about this before HERE, but the key is that this is based on a selfish desire. We want another child.

The idea of adoption is something that my husband has bounced around in his head LONG before he met me! This is something that we have always considered and now we are making it a reality. There are MILLIONS of orphans in this world that need a home. We are just making the decision to help 1 little boy, halfway around the world. The "wonderful thing" is that his birthmother made the tremendous sacrifice to give him up so that he may have a better life. We are promising to do that.

I will not say that I will be the perfect Mom, but I will love him until the day I die. Like I tell my other children, I will ALWAYS love them, even when I am mad at them. I may not like what they do, but I will always love them. I will make mistakes and I will raise my voice, but I will NEVER deny them a hug or a kiss. That is what I can promise to give this small child.


2 comments:

LaLa said...

what a great post..yeah, I am no hero either : )

The Letter 'W' said...

we feel the same way... we are not heros. we are parents who want another child. we feel blessed that God widened our worldview and placed adoption in our hearts.