I met my husband.....On a blind date!
I was a junior in college and my next door neighbor in the dorm had been in my room a couple of week earlier, complaining about her boyfriend (who no one knew she was dating!), when I joked that I was tired of hearing about her personal life, she was from the area, and she should set me up with someone! I WAS JOKING!!!
She JUMPED at the chance to set me up with her former high school assistant band director. She said it was a great guy who needed a nice girl. I laughed. She said she would take care of it.
The following weekend, she went home and told him at the football game that she found him a date! He laughed and said she wasn't serious. She said, yes, I am. He said OK, then bring me a picture of her next week, if she really exists!
So the following week, she returned home, armed with a photo of me and 2 other friends, with my phone # on the back. She too gave me a picture of him from a band camp that summer. When she gave it to me, she said he would call me, but knowing him, it would take awhile. He would pace and wear out the carpet before he would call and she KNEW that I would never call him!!
So, I did
We talked on the phone for a long time and set up a date for the following weekend. He brought her back to college for the weekend and took me out for dinner (Eat n Park) and a movie (Doc Hollywood). We were VERY quiet during the drive, but we talked throughout dinner.
We joke that opening the door was a bit of a mutual surprise. We had seen pictures of each other, but both were deceiving. My photo was from the waist up of me and 2 friends. He said his first impression of me was "Amazon Woman" LOL. The picture I saw of him was with a baseball cap on. Let's say that according to his genes, Abram better enjoy his blonde hair!!
He brought me a dried flower topiary. It is oranges, browns, etc.. Fall colors. He told the florist who they were for and she thought this way they couldn't die in a dorm room. It was interesting! We laugh about it now. It was an orange pot, with brown "stuff" and flowers around the bottom, with a wooden dowel rod up to a round ball of flowers. It was VERY top heavy and feel over often in my dorm room! It is still in the attic somewhere. It was on top of a hutch in our last house, but not since moving here.
He brought me back to school and we took a walk around campus and up to the estate across the street. It was a really nice evening. I often joke to people that I came to college in PA (from CT) and was set up on a blind date my junior year. 17 years and 2 (soon to be 3) kids later, here I am!!
2 comments:
we have SOOO much in common!
we just had our 17 year last month
Congrats Dawn!
Post a Comment